Saturday, July 4, 2009

Astronautalis -- The Mighty Ocean & Nine Dark Theaters


Alright, first off, let me start by saying that I like music too. A lot of it is not the same music that Some Guy likes. Metal? Prog-Rock? Go to Some Guy. Indie Rock? Hip Hop? Folk, Punk, or Folk-Punk? I might just be your man.

Keeping that in mind, I bring you a very unique album today. Astronautalis, the stage name of Andy Bothwell out of Seattle, Washington, released "The Mighty Ocean & Nine Dark Theaters", in 2006. As a second album, "The Mighty Ocean" is a very mature effort from the aspiring hip-hop lyricist. It features, most notably, deep lyrics, and great orchestration. Pieces on the violin, harmonica, piano, even xylophones give more than enough depth to the tracks to make them worthwhile as purely instrumental tracks.

Which brings me to my favorite part of this album: the lyrics. Astronautalis is a brilliant lyricist, and I don't use that word lightly. While the tracks meander from orchestral indie-rock to beat-driven hip-hop, Astronautalis effortlessly piles lyric on top of lyric. It ties the entire album together perfectly, and is above and beyond what you'd expect from any established hip-hop artist.

So, yes, I know this album is nearing 3 years of age, but the fact that it is not platinum by now is reason enough for me to plug it here

Enjoy!

http://www.fightingrecords.com/myspace/astrocov.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zxymtmkmgty

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Knottsberry Farm's Wild West Stunt Show! Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template